Saturday, December 18, 2004

Sharks

I am a blacktip shark, swimming after a bluespotted ray, which is not very fast. It is too busy guzzling a bunch of snails on the reef. I gulp it down. Then I head for a lyretail coral trout. It takes off for a slow-moving devil scorpionfish. While it’s busy stalking the fish, I sneak up behind and CRUNCH! It’s gone. Feeling full after two meals, I swim toward a cave really fast and dart inside. I know I would’ve attracted bigger sharks to the spot I made the loud crunch from eating that trout. But I needed a short-tail electric ray for defense. Once I saw a shark chomp down on an electric ray and it became electric. It turned out that the crunch attracted a whitemouth moray eel, my favorite food. It loved to eat banded coral shrimp, so it started munching shrimp and anything else that was or seemed edible. I darted out, snapped it up, and zoomed away across the reef.

Then I dug in the coral to see if a lizardfish was hiding from me or waiting for prey to pass by. Instead, I uncovered a longsnout flathead hiding in the sand. MUNCH! CRUNCH! CHOMP! SMACK! I gobbled it up like crazy. Trying to catch an achilles tang, I trapped it in between a cave and a hungry fish. Deciding it was too small for me to eat, I left it to face a blackfin barracuda. I tried to find a brittle star, but I ate all of them.

The crabs were all hiding from me. I uncovered one crab trying to hide under a great white shark. "Ha!" I said. ROAR! The big shark crunched up the crab. Blechhhh! He spit it out. Now I was free to eat it! After eating the crab, a football trout ate the eel I was stalking. I was so mad, I darted out from my hiding spot and ate the thief. I went back to my hiding spot among the sponges. Moorish Idol, and great white sharks loved sponges for dessert. I had to be careful, because my spying spot had some urchins near it. There was a danger about those urchins: GWS's, and humphhead wrasse liked them. A type of edible butterflyfish and bluelined snapper liked them
too, but that was what I was hoping for. A marbled grouper swam past, pursuing a lined cardinalfish. I gobbled the grouper, then the cardinalfish. I flicked my tail and swam away. The plankton swam by, and hid in the coral. Lined cardinalfish, palette surgeonfish, and silver sprat liked plankton. PS was what I liked to eat.

No comments: