Thursday, December 16, 2004

The Jungle

One day, I found a secret passage in my playroom. I crawled through it. And I found myself in a jungle! I had a terrarium for a snake or lizard. The type of snake I was looking for was a coral snake. The type of lizard was an iguana. I caught a mangrove snake by the tail just as it almost quickly slithered away. It wasn’t the snake I was looking for, but I was happy with it. Night soon fell.

I swam to Madagascar overnight. I got there while it was still night. Strange noises covered the sky. Screeches and twitters of lemurs and birds rang out. They sounded like warnings. Suddenly, I heard a quick rustling in the bushes. A tapir burst out of the bushes. STOMP! STOMP! STOMP! SHH! SHH! It ran over me and disappeared into the tall grass. The air was quiet once again. A ring-tailed lemur jumped out of a tree and onto my shoulder. Spotting the snake, he screeched and disappeared into a tree.

I can transform into a snake. I quickly transformed into a snake. I slithered along the forest floor, looking for something to eat. My sensing organs sensed something moving rapidly toward me. I zoomed up a tree and into the branches. Then a tapir came to the very spot I had been in. GRUNT! It snorted and moved on. I guessed it had looked at me as a potential food source. Anyway, I slithered higher into the branches, thinking there might be some sort of edible squirrel higher up. How I guessed that was, by watching the tapir silently, I heard a rustle up in the exact tree I was in. Squeaks could be heard upwards and a cracking of nuts rang out. As I climbed higher, my senses told me that they felt the body heat of an animal. I stalked a sugarglider and successfully gained it as a meal.

After the meal, I slithered down to the ground and set off in search of a suitable home. I came across some undiscovered species of snake along the way, but I ended up at an old log that might have been a good house if it didn't have a family of restless woodpeckers in it. The real house was an uninhabited treehole. There was plenty of food in the bark. I just hoped it wasn't a popular pecking spot for woodpeckers. I was hungry, so I ate a few bugs from the "larder". They weren't the best food I could get, but I couldn't go to Subway or anything, right?

No comments: